Why the title?

"Pioneers take the arrows"

Oh, wait. I should be upbeat and taking arrows doesn't sound like an upbeat thing to say.

So, let me amend that statement.

It was courage and vision that led the pioneers to leave behind a comfortable, settled life and trek West to begin a new life in a new place. Many of those from the East that went West found a strength within themselves that they didn't see while they were in their old life. Instead of being one of those that just kind of went along with the others in the old life, they became leaders and visionaries in their new lives.

The sentiments of that last paragraph come from a favorite author, Louis L'Amour, in many of his books. So, I can't really say that it is an original thought from me. However, what he said is truthful.

Welcome to being a pioneer. Look ahead and ignore the "barking dogs" that give you negative opinions and comments. Louis L'Amour also spoke of the barking dogs.

In some of his stories, it was usually a father or older man telling a young boy how it was that when the Westward bound Conestoga wagons rolled through towns, the dogs came out to bark at them. His character then told the young listener that the barking didn't stop the wagons from going on to their destinations.

Following the advice of the Louis L'Amour characters, may we all forge ahead with our plans, after carefully considering all consequences and leave the "barkers" behind.

Friday, December 9, 2011

Justice in Oklahoma

Today, December 9, 2011, has seen two different stories hit the national news that are related to crime and the coming of justice. The first one started out as a bizarre story of a woman in Tulsa being caught cooking Meth on one of the shelves in a south Tulsa Walmart.

Essentially, she didn’t have the money to buy the ingredients at Walmart and then take them elsewhere to cook for her Meth. So, she just decided to fix up a batch right there in the store, shoplifting each item as it was needed. I guess she thought she could get it cooked up into the drug and then just leave with the finished product. That way, she wouldn’t be caught “shoplifting” an ingredient or two when she went to leave.

Many stores won’t confront a shoplifter within the store, but will after they have gone out the doors. It would have worked, but store security noted that she had arrived around noon yesterday and about 6 hours later, they noticed her looking “suspicious.” So, they called the Tulsa police. They caught her just after she had mixed two of the ingredients.

As they were taking both her and the chemicals out, the active ingredients ate through the bottle she had been using, ate through the police officer’s glove and gave him a chemical burn. For anyone not familiar with the process, and I sincerely hope that NONE of you know what the process entails, cooking Meth is dangerous. There is always the danger of explosions. (Ever notice that some house fires don’t seem to have a real definitive cause?)

I remember a few years ago, someone cooking Meth decided to somehow gather the gasses and fumes from their process and inject it into an air mattress. They hoped that by doing that, the neighbors wouldn’t smell the processing and call the police. Fortunately, they were discovered and the dangerous situation made safe. If something had sparked the gasses in that air mattress, it would have been one h*ll of an explosion.

Anyway, the link below will take you to a local story about the discovery and arrest of this woman.


In addition to getting a Meth cooker off the streets, there was a major announcement this afternoon about charges being filed against a man who allegedly murdered two young girls out near Weleetka, Oklahoma about 3 years ago.

The two young girls, aged 11 and 13, were walking to a nearby bridge to play along the river bank and look for “things.” When the girls had not returned in some time, family members went looking and found their bodies at the side of the road, each having been shot multiple times with two different caliber weapons.

The man charged is one that had been arrested for the recent murder of his girlfriend, causing the OSBI (Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigations) to take a real interest in him in regards to the murders of 13-year-old Taylor Placker and 11-year-old Skyla Whitaker.

The charging of Kevin Sweat of Henryetta, Oklahoma has come about after his admission that he had killed “two monsters” along the road that day. While the OSBI still does not have the .40 caliber Glock handgun, they been able to trace the weapon to Mr. Sweat.

Now, it is my prayer that some peace can now come to the families of the two young girls. The loss of such young ladies must be a burden that is hard to bear. Should those families ever hear of or read my words, I would like for them to know that I pray for strength and comfort for the difficult task of now enduring a trial.

Because this case took so long to solve, one Oklahoma legislative representative, who will remain unnamed here, heaped a lot of criticism upon the investigators in the Okfuskee County sheriff’s office and the OSBI. It is my hope that he realizes that law enforcement in the state of Oklahoma does not give up so easy. I also hope that he realizes that law enforcement cannot reveal all the information that they possess until the case has come to an end with the arrest and conviction of a criminal.

A link to this story is provided below. If you go there, you can see some photos of those precious young ladies who were such good friends.


I would also like to offer my commendations to the law enforcement agencies and personnel of the state of Oklahoma for their dedication and courage. In addition to the above stories, there is one other where officers in Valley Brook, a community within Oklahoma City, confronted someone who had broken into the Valley Brook city hall. A shootout ensued with one Valley Brook officer and two Oklahoma City officers being wounded and the suspect being killed.

Oddly enough, the Valley Brook city hall is also a part of the same building as where the Valley Brook police department is located. This perpetrator brings some weird things to this story. He left “messages” on the walls of city hall with what appears to be his own blood.

So, if you want to read about that story, check out this link:


I would say that concludes the wild and weird and welcome news with crime in Oklahoma. However, who knows what else went on today. There was an incident on the Turner Turnpike (I-44 between Tulsa and Oklahoma City) where someone fired 14 shots into a westbound vehicle, wounding two people in that vehicle. Unfortunately, at this time that has not been any arrests with that one, so I really can’t say that they are all concluded.

I think I’ll go clean some weapons.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.